A Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) (Polyurethane based).
|Nozzle Temperature||210 - 230°C||220°C|
|Speed (mm/s)||40 - 90mm/s||40 - 50mm/s|
|Cooling Fan Speed||?%||50%|
|Max Flow Rate||6mm3/s at 220°C||-|
|Retraction||4.5mm @ 25mm/s||4.5mm @ 45mm/s|
|Bed Adhesive||PVA Glue||PrintAfix|
Temperature: Although in General we settled on approximately 220 for a print temperature, this did vary slightly between colours, Black tended to be more prone to very fine stringing.
Speed: again the speed varied between colours but for good results 40-50 mm/s was about the correct ball park with black needing the slower end of the scale.
Volumetric Flow: We did perform some of the volumetric tests with the best results giving results to a maximum of 6mm3/s, after 8mm3/s it began to suffer with lack of interlayer adhesion. Although it printed the main problem came after post processing, with single wall thickness components they lost rigidity and began to collapse.
Preferred settings: With a nozzle temperature of approximately 220°C and a bed temperature of 65°C we found the results for best bed adhesion was with PrintAfix. Although it could print 50mm/s we found the results were improved at 40-45mm/s range.
Ultimaker Robot: The printed results were quite good once the setting were dial in and a decent model was produced.
Tree Frog: Again good results could be produced at the correct settings, although there was some stringing on some of the colours, with some being a lot more that others.
3DBenchy: Other than the stringing some nice models were printed, again this varied between different colours.
|Measurement and % Difference||Printed||59.99mm||0.02%||31.45mm||1.45%||32.47mm||0.09%|
*As the vertical height can be effected by the distance of the bed-levelling to the nozzle the height of the “Top of the Chimney to the top of the box” should be more accurate for the comparisons
Conclusion: This FTR only looks at the printing process with PolySmooth, we tested several colours in 1.75mm and 2.85mm filaments, for information on the finishing process using a PolySher look at the report we did that is available on 3dFilaPrints website with the following link.
The printing side produced some good results and some interesting results, we printed some small fluted vases to check single wall thickness and also some 75% scale Braq dragons to really check things out. Black for some reason gave a hairy finish, adjusting the retraction and the fan speed had no effect and normally would take a lot of post finishing before being put into the Polysher to get a really smooth surface finish. Rather than the simple large low featured models that the publishing documents showed we wanted to test some more realistic models that users may want to produce.
There is only a limited range of colours but these really work well, the translucent produced some great results when post processed through the Polysher, although with models such as the Braq dragon the components need to dry for about a week before assembly otherwise they may stick together better than some adhesives can accomplish. It can produce some great models although some of the finer details can be lost during the polishing stage.
Colours available; Transparent, Snow White, Jet Black, Slate Grey, Teal, Coral Red, Electric Blue.
Testing performed on Ultimaker2, With a BondTec Feeder, a Matchless Block running a 35W heater and using a 0.4mm nozzle.
Wanhao Duplicator i3+ with a Swiss nozzle.
(A Christmas tree angel, as printed, cleaned up and after polishing.
ristmas tree angel, as printed, cleaned up and after polishing.